All the News That's Fit to be Tied

I have an axe to grind, but unlike the New York Times, I freely admit it.

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Only Partially Exaggerated

The death of Romney's campaign was not exaggerted after all. At this point I can only say the Republicans are pathetic. A little adversity and they take their toys and go home. What a bunch of wimps-it's probably better they're not running anyway. Now we are stuck with McCain, for whom there are not enough derogatory adjectives to describe this tyrannical leftover from the cold war. Sure's he got an 82% conservative rating. It's just that the other 18% are the most important issues of our time and he is on the wrong side on them: McCain-Feingold, McCain-Kennedy, and McCain-Lieberman, Gauntanamo Bay and Enemy Combatant Rights to name the five most urgent items. We are likely to hear precious little, if anything, about these issues when he talks before CPAC tonight. He'll talk about uniting the party as long as we agree with his views. Once again, along with a whole lot of Republicans, we will have to hold our noses and vote for the most vanilla, most moderate, most aged candidate because the party establishment and apparently many voters as well, feels that he's next in line. The party tried this with Dole in 96. You remember the result and where it left us, don't you. In this regard we should probably be more like Democrats. The next in line guy in their party hasn't been elected since Adlei Stevenson. There's a good reason for that: they always lose.