All the News That's Fit to be Tied

I have an axe to grind, but unlike the New York Times, I freely admit it.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Message to Congressman Steve Israel

I received an email from my U.S. Congressman noting his concern for the Gulf oil spill and its potential effect on our environment. As he is a Democrat he is using the oil spill as a rationale for more regulation and higher energy taxes. I sent him the following response: I hope that drilling for oil on land and closer to shore is part of the solution. Nuclear power should also be included. If this explosion, which is suspicious if only because oil is so difficult to ignite in the first place, had occurred in 500 feet of water instead of 5000 feet it would have been plugged on the first day. It is the current level of federal regulation that has pushed oil developers into such deep water. I know you disagree. I am just disappointed that you will not do anything to be better informed or buck your party.