All the News That's Fit to be Tied

I have an axe to grind, but unlike the New York Times, I freely admit it.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Our Blacks are Better than Theirs

Once again the intellectual antics of politics provides us with what can be called by some a "teachable moment." A moment where both sides, if that's the right term, can learn valuable lessons. In an interview, which I watched after the fact, witticist author, Ann Coulter, apparently referred to conservative blacks as "ours," apparently outraging even many conservative blacks. Cornell West may well be calling for her head tomorrow, putting himself in the unusual position of defending black men like Clarence Thomas, Herman Cain and Thomas Sowell, all the while lamenting over the legacy of slavery that so many blacks, in his view, cannot escape from. @Right_of_Black on Twitter said "Did Ann Coulter say "our blacks are so much better than their blacks” ? Will someone tell this woman black folks aren't commodities?! hrmpf!" @carlamitch also on Twitter said "Our blacks are better than their blacks" do I even need to comment on this Ann Coulter quote? Does this mean we're back on the plantation?" Finally @i_EAT_nerds said "Someone needs to tell Ann Coulter white people don't own us anymore." These tweets were retweeted by the wonderful @arlenearmy, who I follow along with @dphaw and @theblacksphere to name a few. I am almost positive that Ann Coulter did not mean this the way it was received, but I will let her apologize for herself. But it does demonstrate that the ghost of slavery lives on even in the purest hearts. My own tweet was "Not to defend Coulter, but it never surprises me how easily minorities are offended," and was the inspiration for this column.